Rioja Alavesa at Christmas
Christmas is an ideal place to feel the warmth of Rioja Alavesa; to share the customs and traditions of our people, savouring the delights of the cuisine at this special time. A time to getaway for some, and to celebrate for others. The various municipalities have a Christmas program and establishments forming part of the Rioja Alavesa Wine Route get underway to offer numerous suggestions for that dream vacation.
- Take in the Baroque moving nativity scenes at Laguardia, dating from the eighteenth century.
- Visit the live nativity scenes in some of our towns and villages. This initiative involves all the townspeople, who are responsible for organizing the preparations, including the preparation of a tasty broth to keep out the cold. Visitors are always welcome at our celebrations.
- Discover the tradition of "The Shepherds", a series of very ancient civic-religious dances performed in Labastida.
- Welcome the Olentzero, the collier who delivers gifts to our children on Christmas Eve.
- Visit the wine-themed Nativity scene at Bodegas Loli Casado, in Lapuebla de Labarca. A nativity scene dedicated to Rioja Alavesa, located in the barrel room of the winery, where over 150 figures are on show each with different wine and olive making occupations.
- Visit our wineries and wine and food shops to buy excellent wines for this time of year and many Christmas gifts.
- Celebrate Christmas Eve, New Year´s Eve and Twelfth Night, with special culinary suggestions offered by our establishments.
- Stay with your group of friends in one of our accommodations that offer a full rental option to enjoy the holiday period somewhere just for you.
- Listen to a Christmas concert with traditional carols and dances.